Getting started with syncing
Syncing makes it easy to share your Papers library across multiple devices using cloud or Wi-Fi. You can download the free Papers app for iPhone/iPad here and sync between your Papers desktop application and iPhone/iPad.
Up until recently, we have supported syncing via Dropbox or Wi-Fi (in case of Papers for Mac and iOS). However, we have recently changed the way that our syncing system works, to open the door to using other cloud services:
- Google Drive
- SugarSync (Mac)
- Network file shares
- WebDAV drive
Papers for iPhone and iPad only supports syncing via Dropbox and Wi-Fi.
|Dropbox||Wi-Fi||Other Cloud Services|
|Papers for Mac (3.4.0 and newer)||✅||✅||✅|
|Papers for Windows (3.0.202 and newer)||✅||❌||✅|
|Papers for iPhone and iPad||✅||✅||❌|
It is easy to set up syncing during the first run. You just navigate to you Dropbox folder or another cloud sync location and choose to create a new library and that's it, syncing is automatically enabled for you.
Wi-Fi sync currently works between Papers 3 for Mac and iOS. It is easy to set up the Wi-Fi sync on your Mac by going to Preferences > Sync > Local Network. For further instructions, see our article on Getting started with Wi-Fi syncing.
Syncing is a very powerful feature but there are some limitations:
- Papers can not sync libraries that are not stored in the same Dropbox account. This is often an issue for users with personal and business accounts.
- The Papers library can not be selectively synced. The whole Library.papers3 folder must be set up to sync.
- Papers can not properly sync libraries stored in shared Dropbox folders.
- Papers can not sync a library you have deleted from your Dropbox folder on another device. This will cause the library to be deleted from Dropbox on all devices.
- Papers can not sync libraries across versions. Papers 2 can not sync with Papers 3.
- Advanced search and powerful filtering of articles within your library - Papers 3 for Mac
- How to search for new publications in Papers 3 for Mac
- Start building your Papers for Windows library
- How to search for new publications in Papers 3 for Windows
- How to enter a new publication manually to your library - Papers 3 for Windows
- View all (11 more)
- Read your PDFs in the full screen reader mode - Papers 3 for Mac
- Annotate and take notes in the Reader screen on Papers 3 for Mac
- Annotate and take notes in the Reader screen on Papers 3 for Windows
- Managing multiple publications in the Reader view - Papers 3 for Mac
- Highlighting and taking notes in Papers for iOS
- View all (8 more)