Release Notes for Papers2 - version 2.5
Overview of the Changes
Papers 2.5 introduces two new annotation styles (underlining and strikethrough). The meat of this update is focused around bug fixes and performance enhancements however, for example we have reworked spotlight indexing to be more robust, improved iOS syncing performance, and fixed a number of crashes. It also contains a number of smaller but significant improvements.
- Added underline and strikethrough annotation mode.
- Reworked spotlight indexing to be more robust.
- Significantly improved performance of switching between collections.
- Scrolling large number of collections is now smooth again.
- Improved performance and reliability of iOS PDF syncing.
- Improved performance of autocitekey generation.
- Reworked the way Magic Citations uses the database to make it more robust for syncing purposes and against corruption.
- Added support for Sublime Text 3
- Added support for Ulysses III
- Fixed an issue where edition numbers marked as ordinal values (1st, 8th etc) were shown incorrectly.
- Fixed an issue where publications imported via Citations would not receive a thumbnail and get indexed.
- Fixed an issue with invisible fields not being removed from footnotes.
- Fixed an issue with parsing of Pandoc and MMD citations spanning multiple lines.
Other bug fixes and improvements
- Added the ability to add a custom WOS URL.
- Added a retina version of the Citations status item.
- Added new shortcuts to the various text and highlight modes.
- Added contextual menu options for switching PDF highlight mode.
- Added missing subtypes to smart collection subtype filtering.
- Added cancel button to supplemental data choice sheet.
- Added address to "complete" type BibTeX import, ensuring it will also appear for articles.
- Restoring a paper from the trash or archive now places it back into collections.
- Stopwords are now filtered out of spotlight searches, improving multi-word searches.
- Source searches now also include the publisher field.
- Auto-matching no longer attempts to find IDs if no relevant search engines are active.
- Fixed a crash while attempting to perform OCR on large images.
- Fixed a crash while moving files on OSX 10.6.
- Fixed a crash when accessing search engine settings.
- Fixed a crash when accessing scanner settings.
- Fixed a crash during iOS syncing of many collections due to GCD limits.
- Fixed an issue where thumbnail size in grid view mode was not restored upon application start.
- Fixed an issue where Endnote exporting would hang.
- Fixed an issue where non-unicode characters would be included in Endnote exports.
- Fixed an issue where journal names were not properly showing in Endnote X6.
- Fixed an issue with iOS syncing and IPv6 networks.
- Fixed an issue with incorrect neighboring annotation merging where text would appear in the wrong order.
- Fixed an issue where the "Papers already has an attached PDF" dialog would not properly wrap the instructions.
- Fixed an issue where matching would remove the local search engine from the set of available search engines.
- Fixed an issue where search results dragged to the My papers collection would not be properly imported.
- Fixed an issue where URLs would not be properly imported from BibTeX files.
- Fixed an issue where sub- and superscripted characters were not properly escaped during BibTeX export.
- Fixed an issue where the date would not be properly parsed in WOS search results.
- Fixed an issue where selecting next/previous tab was incorrectly enabled in fullscreen mode.
- Fixed an issue where pasted serial numbers with extra whitespace would not enable the activate button.
- Fixed an issue where Endnote and archive keywords were duplicated upon import, and would appear as locked.
- Fixed an issue where the same keyword/tag could be added twice to the same paper.
- Fixed an issue where the path column was not properly updated after renaming the PDF.
- Fixed an issue where the option to include/exclude supplements and annotations from papers archives would be ignored.
- Fixed an issue with leaving the keyword field empty in smart collection rules (this now lists papers without keywords).
- Fixed an issue with Facebook and Twitter authorization.
- Fixed an issue with parsing RIS files that contain a mix of A1 and AU author fields.
- Disabled selection mode during previewing scans.
- Improved export of titles in EndnoteXML files.
- Improved RIS file export and parsing upon import according to the RIS specification.
- Improved export of patents and eprints in BibTeX format.
- Improved and more reliable author editing.
- Improved parsing of author names where titles are discarded and no longer result in author objects.
- Improved duplicate detection for publications.
- Improved dropbox safety checks.
- Reworked the reset+change library location parts of the preferences.
- Updated the library location reset warning text to reflect the new default library location.
Updated the bundled CSL styles.
2.5.3 Fixed an issue where the OS X firewall would complain each time the application would start.
2.5.5 Fixed an issue with Spotlight reindexing and migrations being very slow
Papers for iOS
We advise to upgrade to Papers for iOS 1.9.17, this free update is available in the iTunes App Store.
Have a look at our roadmap to see what's up next:
- Advanced search and powerful filtering of articles within your library - Papers 3 for Mac
- How to search for new publications in Papers 3 for Mac
- Start building your Papers for Windows library
- How to search for new publications in Papers 3 for Windows
- How to enter a new publication manually to your library - Papers 3 for Windows
- View all (11 more)
- Read your PDFs in the full screen reader mode - Papers 3 for Mac
- Annotate and take notes in the Reader screen on Papers 3 for Mac
- Annotate and take notes in the Reader screen on Papers 3 for Windows
- Managing multiple publications in the Reader view - Papers 3 for Mac
- Highlighting and taking notes in Papers for iOS
- View all (8 more)