Latest Papers3 update redirects to an advertisement for a Readcube trial?

t.szk

05 Aug, 2017 04:54 AM

Hello,
Is the advertisement for Readcube the "update" to Papers3? Otherwise, the latest update is not working for me. When I go to update it says " A new update is available for download", yet the bottom still says "Checking for Updates" and a Readcube ad is the only thing that shows up. I've attached a screenshot for your reference.

I'd prefer not to see this coming, but I have a strong feeling this Papers3 software "update" is a full migration to the Readcube software (which would technically be an "upgrade" anyway).
Can someone please confirm or deny this?

If this is the case, that's not cool. I didn't pay for your software (as a student) for it to be deprecated and then attempt to up-sell me to a different proprietary software without notice. Assuming this is true - it was an ill-advised decision. I just read through and downloaded the current license agreement for Papers3 and it is too poorly written to hold in court against a class-action suit. For the time being, I'll assume all of the above is irrelevant to the update that is not working for me.

What happened to the update and why am I only seeing Readcube advertisements?

Thanks!
-TJ

Currently running Papers3 for Mac Version 3.4.10 (548) with macOS Sierra (10.12.6) on a Late-2013 15" MacBook Pro.

1. 1 Posted by t.szk on 05 Aug, 2017 04:58 AM

The image attached for reference is here.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by cary on 07 Aug, 2017 07:33 PM

Hey TJ -

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us and for bringing this to our attention. This is an error and is the result of a broken link. We are working to get it fixed ASAP!

I do very much apologize for any trouble this caused.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Cary

3. cary closed this discussion on 07 Aug, 2017 07:33 PM.

4. t.szk re-opened this discussion on 08 Aug, 2017 12:49 AM

5. 3 Posted by t.szk on 08 Aug, 2017 12:59 AM

Cary,
    There is little value in closing a "public discussion" if the public lacks the opportunity to become involved in discussion. The issue persists and is not resolved - this thread has no reason to be closed until the problem has been resolved. I'm glad your team has acknowledged the issue and is working on it. Support staff - please do not reply to this post, there is no need.
    Thanks!
    -TJ

Note: Other forum members, please start a discussion if you are unable to reply to this.

6. t.szk closed this discussion on 08 Aug, 2017 01:09 AM.

7. t.szk re-opened this discussion on 08 Aug, 2017 01:09 AM

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Papersapp please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac