Papers 3 and developer releases of macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Flip Phillips

26 Jun, 2017 02:29 PM

Just a heads up to 'bleeding edge' folks- As is typical with any macOS whole-number revision and Papers, there are a bunch of problems with the current Developer releases of macOS High Sierra (a.k.a. 10.13). To be fair the problems aren't limited to Papers, but, of the dozens of very complicated software programs I use, Papers almost always suffers the worst during these times, and this is no exception.

We put the developer release on a lab machine to investigate the new MLKit (machine learning framework) and have been testing various pieces of software against it. Papers 'works' for reading, adding, etc, but there are regular crashes in their 'internal' MT framework when editing, matching, etc. entries. Exporting still works, BibTeX double {{ bug is still is there (and I have a binary patch that fixes that since Papers is unwilling/unable, just message me), but anything to do with editing metadata is perilous.

So- before you jump on the soon-to-happen Public Beta be aware that you might be disappointed. Be careful out there.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ayie on 26 Jun, 2017 11:55 PM

Hi Flip,

Thanks for the heads up. The team will be aware. Thanks once again for the continuous support.

Best Wishes,
    Ayie

2. Ayie closed this discussion on 26 Jun, 2017 11:55 PM.

3. Flip Phillips re-opened this discussion on 29 Jun, 2017 02:27 PM

4. 2 Posted by Flip Phillips on 29 Jun, 2017 02:27 PM

As a quick observation for people in my condition here- hiding the righthand information pane seems to help a little w/ the crashing. I can match papers, etc, without crashing, presumably because it's not updating buttons/fields/things over there. So, for now, if you're on the dev release, hide it.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Papersapp please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac