Wiley journal issues

david.duthie

07 Apr, 2017 12:47 AM

This comment was split from the discussion: Crashes

Hi Cary,

Thanks for your email - everything is still working and stable (so far), except for one odd thing, not linked to the crashing (I think).

Whenever I try to open the link to any Wiley journal article inside Papers, it fails to open the link.

This has only been happening for the last few days - maybe a week, but it appears to affect all Wiley metadata, even ones I imported long ago.

Maybe something has changed on the Wiley side?

Here a few randomly selected - do they open for you inside Papers? They open perfectly in Firefox, but not from within Papers.

http://doi.wiley.com/10.1111/ecog.02543 http://doi.wiley.com/10.1111/ecog.02543

http://doi.wiley.com/10.1002/ieam.1843 http://doi.wiley.com/10.1002/ieam.1843

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1461-0248.2011.01703.x/abstract http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1461-0248.2011.01703.x/abstract

Best wishes

David

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ayie on 07 Apr, 2017 12:50 AM

Hi David

I've forwarded your report to our developers. We'll get back with you once we hear back.

Best Wishes,
    Ayie

2. 2 Posted by david.duthie on 20 Apr, 2017 04:04 PM

Hi Ayie,

I am still having this problem with all of my Wiley publisher references.

I see them in web browser but they do not load from within Papers 3 (on a Mac)

Am I the only one experiencing this?

Thanks

David

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ayie on 21 Apr, 2017 01:36 AM

Hi David

Apologies we haven't gotten back to you with a feedback yet as we haven't heard back yet. Honestly, we haven't received any similar reports yet and the ticket is still open meaning it's still being looked into.

Apologies once again but we will get back in touch once we have any news.

Best Wishes,
    Ayie

4. Ayie closed this discussion on 21 Apr, 2017 01:36 AM.

5. david.duthie re-opened this discussion on 23 Apr, 2017 05:00 PM

6. 4 Posted by david.duthie on 23 Apr, 2017 05:00 PM

Hi Ayie,

Thanks for the reply.

I should have checked this earlier, but I just opened my old Papers (45K articles) library on my old Macbook Pro and it loads the webpage of article in Wiley published journals (when there is no PDF).

When I look at the SAME article on my newer Macbook Pro it fails to load the webpage, even though the metadata look identical to my eye in both cases.

So the problem appears to be within my newer larger library (48K articles) on the newer Macbook Pro.

I have run “Repair Library” a couple of times - no improvement.

When I try to run “Repair File Path Metadata” I just get the "spinning wheel of death”, “Application Not Responding” and no activity showing in Activity Monitor.

So I am stuck!

It is so strange that ALL article of just one publisher have this problem!

Any suggestions?

David

David Duthie
    [email blocked]
    Mobile (new): +44(0)755-255-3551
    Mobile (old): +44(0)755-561-0948

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by cary on 25 Apr, 2017 06:53 PM

Hey David -

Thanks so much for getting back to us. This is so strange! Truly, this isn't something we've encountered before.

I know that must put you at ease, right? Just joking!

While I still do not have a proper solution for you yet, I may have an alternative: are you familiar with our sister application ReadCube?

ReadCube, like Papers, is a reference manager but has been written using entirely different code and may be more successful for you. If you'd like to spend some time with the application, I more be more than happy to provide you with a free subscription to our Pro service (usually $55) and help you get set-up.

Just let me know!

Best,

Cary

8. cary closed this discussion on 25 Apr, 2017 06:53 PM.

9. david.duthie re-opened this discussion on 25 Apr, 2017 07:20 PM

10. 6 Posted by david.duthie on 25 Apr, 2017 07:20 PM

Hi Cary,

I am happy to know I am setting you new problems to think about! :)

I already have a ReadCube Pro account - I met with Alex Hodgson in Boston before I left Montreal last year and she gave me a 50% discount offer - and know that eventually I will need to migrate across to ReadCube as Papers get phased out.

I have already checked that a Wiley article exported from my Papers library opens correctly after importing into ReadCube - it does. (Making this situation even stranger?)

My issue/question is how much time/bandwidth would I need to upload 48,000 articles to the ReadCube cloud? I guess that I would need to do it in increments also?

I have to admit that I prefer the Papers interface at the moment - I guess I am a Luddite creature of habit!

In June, I hope to be in a new house which will have superfast internet, so maybe that would be the time to consider a migration?

What do you think?

David

David Duthie
    [email blocked]

11. Support Staff 7 Posted by cary on 27 Apr, 2017 06:25 PM

Hey David -

Thanks so much for getting back to me. Ha! No way! Small world, huh?

In terms of how long it would take to import your library, due to its size, I probably would recommend that you bring content over in chucks rather than trying to do the entire library at once; that will probably allow things to run more smoothly.

In terms of how long it would actually take? I'm not sure but, truthfully, it shouldn't take too long.

Best,

Cary

12. cary closed this discussion on 27 Apr, 2017 06:25 PM.

13. david.duthie re-opened this discussion on 28 Apr, 2017 06:36 PM

14. 8 Posted by david.duthie on 28 Apr, 2017 06:36 PM

Hi Cary,

I am starting to look into a migration to ReadCube, but se a few quite significant problems for me. Maybe you can confirm if they are real problems?

My reason for having such a large library is that I am a knowledge management “maven” - better than Google for biodiversity information! :)

1. Articles I have exported from Papers to XML and imported to ReadCube have lost any information under “General Notes”. I use this a lot to link to media stories about the article, so would be losing a lot of information during import.

2. Although I know ReadCube automatically checks availability of PDF downloads (i.e. free/OA), it dos not “tag” the article as such (I do this manually in Papers (hard work!), but can then separate these free/OA articles from others as a collection). One of my “maven” activities is to link students in developing countries with free/OA articles, but in ReadCube I do not seem to be able these from articles with PDF files that are not free/open access (I have good library access). I could perhaps solve this problem if I can maintain several main libraries?

3. Related to the above is I see no way to create the equivalent of Papers’ Smart Collections in ReadCube. I use this all the time to maintain more focused (sub-) libraries that grow over time without further filtering/filing. Using ReadCube “search" to filter and then drag to a sub-library seems much more inefficient?

ReadCube is very "research community in first world” focused - continuous fast internet access, the cloud, etc. whilst I am trying to build conservation capacity in developing countries before they lose all of their wildlife.

Fix these issues for me and perhaps I will be able to migrate!

Ciao

David

15. Support Staff 9 Posted by cary on 02 May, 2017 08:22 PM

Hey David -

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

Unfortunately, the limitations which you've listed are real and it hurts me to say that, ha. However, this is feedback we've gotten on the ReadCube end and is something we're hoping to incorporate into the new version of the application which is due out later on in the year. Although, I know that doesn't help you right now.

We will continue to look into this issue for you and keep you updated and, obviously, the ReadCube offer still stands - even if you just want to play around with the Pro features.

Thanks again, David!

Best,

Cary

16. cary closed this discussion on 02 May, 2017 08:22 PM.

17. david.duthie re-opened this discussion on 06 May, 2017 01:23 PM

18. 10 Posted by david.duthie on 06 May, 2017 01:23 PM

Hi Cary,

Thanks for the email - and the honesty about ReadCube! :)

Can you believe it - my Wiley problem just cured itself spontaneously.

I was going through a few new articles, attaching PDFs, and had just passed one Wiley reference which failed to load the webpage (like all of them recently). A few minutes later I clicked on another article from the same journal and the webpage loaded, and now all of them are loading - I literally did nothing else - truly bizarre.

I hope that it holds now.

As fro ReadCube, I already have Pro - Alex gave me a 50% discount when I met with her. I am planning to create a library there of just my free/open access articles, to be able to share via a list, but will keep my full library on Papers, ate least until your next update to ReadCube.

Many thanks for all of the support.

David

David Duthie
    [email blocked]

19. Support Staff 11 Posted by cary on 09 May, 2017 08:12 PM

Hey David -

Thanks so much for getting back to me. We actually did get a couple of additional reports about the Wiley issue which was also resolved for other users so it did appear to be a temporary issue.

I'm glad everything is well for you again!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, either with Papers or ReadCube!

Best,

Cary

20. cary closed this discussion on 09 May, 2017 08:12 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Papersapp please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac