Papers2 CSL variable for 'notes'

Juha

30 Mar, 2016 08:19 AM

Hello,

I have stored extra information for some papers in 'Notes'. I would like to format my bibliography using a pre-existing style, but in addition I need to include text from 'Notes' after every reference. Is there a way to add this field in a custom CSL style?

Best regards,
Juha

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ayie on 30 Mar, 2016 08:26 AM

Hi Juha

Thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately we are not able to edit or write new styles for you. The styles in Papers come directly from the official CSL repository. You can either ask your publisher if they can recommend another style you can use or follow the steps below to Add or Edit a Citations style:

Adding additional citation styles on Papers 3 for Mac

Hope this helps.
    Best Wishes,
    Ayie

2. Ayie closed this discussion on 30 Mar, 2016 08:26 AM.

3. Juha re-opened this discussion on 30 Mar, 2016 08:36 AM

4. 2 Posted by Juha on 30 Mar, 2016 08:36 AM

Hi Ayle,

Thanks for your reply. I am able to create custom styles myself. All I need to know is how to reference to information in the 'Notes' field. A previous poster suggested this is in 'papers2_notes'. But is this a name of a variable, a macro or what?

Best regards,
    Juha

5. 3 Posted by Aleksander Mant... on 30 Mar, 2016 02:26 PM

Hello,

I wrote "variables". Here an example:
    <text variable="papers2_notes" prefix="your prefix for notes: "/>
    All I need to know is how to render (in CSL) information included in a few fields: date fields (with an exception of "issued"; it works) and copyright field. Simply, I need a Papers' field mapping to use CSL-standard or/and CSL-Papers-specific variables.

Best regards,
    Aleksander

6. 4 Posted by Juha on 30 Mar, 2016 02:40 PM

Hi Aleksander,

Thanks this worked. I think Papers2 app had to be restarted as I tried exactly the same thing (without prefix="") before and it didn't work.

Best regards,
    Juha

7. 5 Posted by Aleksander Mant... on 30 Mar, 2016 03:52 PM

Hi Juha,

yes, just do it without prefix. Maybe, you should create a group and put a label for your preferred prefix before the line with the papers2_notes variable. I have only checked if this variable works.
    I use Papers3 app which is still partly CSL-compliant. And this support… Horrendous!
    As you know, my basic problem is to render original date of publication (for example, "Durkheim [1895] 2010)"). It is possible in Mendeley and Zotero. I bought the one-month subscription of Papers to test it. At the beginning I was really impressed when I saw three or four date fields and thought: “no more {:original-date: 1951}-like formula”.
    You know results of my investigation. Sincerely speaking, I am going to wait for any official and substantive feedback two-three weeks and then I shall decide if I am still interested in Papers. Bookends looks ugly but works fine. And its support is excellent (I am testing the trial version).

Best regards,
    Aleksander

8. Juha closed this discussion on 30 Mar, 2016 03:57 PM.

9. Aleksander Manterys re-opened this discussion on 30 Mar, 2016 04:21 PM

10. 6 Posted by Aleksander Mant... on 30 Mar, 2016 04:21 PM

Hi Juha,

look at this:

<bibliography>
        <layout>
          <group>
            <text value="Notes: "/>
            <text variable="papers2_notes"/>
          </group>
        </layout>
      </bibliography>

It works.

Best regards,
    Aleksander

11. cary closed this discussion on 31 Mar, 2016 09:02 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Papersapp please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac