Citations in Footnotes

James

08 Mar, 2011 09:38 PM

UPDATE FROM MEKENTOSJ:

HI Papers,

I was just trying out the Papers 2.0 citation function using Word 2008 for Mac. I am having trouble getting the bibliographic information to appear in a footnote. If I click in the footnote and try to insert the citation from Papers, the citation shorthand in brackets appears in the body text and not in the footnote itself. Is there a way to make the citation appear in the footnote? When I format the bibliography it doesn't put it in the footnote.

Thanks,

James

1. 1 Posted by Michel on 08 Mar, 2011 09:43 PM

I'd like to know that too

2. 2 Posted by o_h on 08 Mar, 2011 11:57 PM

me too me too! I want to be able to "copy as reference" with the correct formatting applied. and then just paste that into the footnote

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by mek on 13 Mar, 2011 10:15 AM

Hi James,

We do not yet support footnote style citations, it's something we hope to add in the future.
    Best wishes,
    Alex

4. 4 Posted by thomas on 26 Mar, 2011 01:43 PM

hey. I have a very similar problem with word 2011. adding citations in the main text works just fine, while when the cursor is in the footnote text, citations can't be added. I figure this is not only a question of citation "style" but of their location?

5. 5 Posted by Matt on 11 Apr, 2011 11:54 PM

I hope you can make footnote citations a priority! I've been searching for a reference manager that can successfully manage footnotes, with no luck as of yet. If you can add that into Papers, I'll buy it in a heartbeat!

6. 6 Posted by Julian on 14 Apr, 2011 12:36 PM

Please try to make footnote citation possible soon!
    Keep up the great work!

7. 7 Posted by Christian on 19 Apr, 2011 07:01 AM

Yes, citations in footnotes should be clearly a high priority feature. In the current condition manuscripts is unfortunately only half-baked! Please implement first of all full-featured tools before doing the next step to other ones.

Best regards
    Christian

8. 8 Posted by Bill on 19 Apr, 2011 02:02 PM

I agree, Papers is useless as a citation manager without the possibility to insert references in footnotes

9. 9 Posted by Sarah on 30 Apr, 2011 07:53 PM

A co-worker recommended Papers2 to me because he knew what I required in a reference manager, and EndNote wasn't cutting it. I am in the humanities, and it seems very foolish to not support footnote/endnote citations, since I very rarely encounter any other type of citations in my research. I cannot purchase a product with such a large limitation.

Another note is that this issue does not occur in your "limitation" section of "Knowledge Base".

10. 10 Posted by Florian on 03 May, 2011 12:25 PM

@ Sarah: have you tried Zotero? for Citing I mean?

11. 11 Posted by mlincol1 on 03 May, 2011 01:13 PM

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Florian <
    [email blocked]> wrote:

12. 12 Posted by Sara on 19 May, 2011 07:30 PM

Yes, please made footnote citation support a priority!! I am trying the Papers trial and was enjoying its features very much until I realized that I couldn't make use of them in my documents because footnotes are the only format I can use. Unfortunately, Papers even deleted my text-based footnotes from Scrivener when I tried to use a non-footnotes based citation format. You have a great program and I'm sure many more people will be interested in it if you can add footnote support.

13. 13 Posted by scot.mcphee on 19 Jun, 2011 05:50 AM

Yeah, I'm a plus one on this also. I not only have to use footnote citation, but in the footnote I've got to put the short form e.g. 'Author YYYY : PP'.

14. 14 Posted by Erol Rebe on 23 Jun, 2011 01:08 PM

+3 We can't use Papers here as a subsitute for Endnote without footnote Support!!! Please implement asap

15. 15 Posted by Sanshonomi on 27 Jul, 2011 02:36 AM

I have a slightly different problem - I wanted appear as endnote but it begins formatting in the middle of the main text. Not sure why it recognizes as the end of the document. Help!
    Well, I am returning to endnote.

16. 16 Posted by dgrtwo on 30 Jul, 2011 06:50 PM

+1 to this as well. I don't even need Papers to generate the footnotes for me- It would be fine if I could simply insert the citekey directly into a footnote (to be formatted later), but it doesn't work when I try.

17. 17 Posted by darcyholt on 01 Aug, 2011 08:41 AM

+1 also: I like Papers2 so far, but in order to justify upgrading, a better implementation of the citation feature is necessary. Thanks for the hard work on a a great program.

18. 18 Posted by Daniel Strand on 06 Aug, 2011 01:46 PM

yes, needs footnote support. if not at least a way to in a way that lets you select the output format. That doesn't work for me either.

19. 19 Posted by schmidt-t on 17 Aug, 2011 02:28 PM

2011/8/16 tardigrada <
    [email blocked]>

>

20. 20 Posted by focx on 08 Sep, 2011 04:43 AM

Footnote support is a must!

21. 21 Posted by Evan Schoenberg on 14 Sep, 2011 06:55 PM

+1 to footnotes; I'd use the citations system heavily if footnotes were supported, but I can't use it without them.

22. 22 Posted by Anthony Lopez on 21 Oct, 2011 03:41 AM

No footnotes support!? What is the point of even having citation functionality if you can't ever use footnotes? I was really excited for this feature; now I discover it is completely useless. I can't tell you how many people this affects, not just the people in this thread. If anyone asked me if this was a good tool to use as a citation manager, I'd say no way. Good library features, but don't use it for citing papers in documents. This is kind of a major oversight, Mekentos guys. I only say so because you have an otherwise great program. So why go half way on the citations functionality? oh well, back to EndNote, I guess :( really wish I could have stayed with you guys.

23. 23 Posted by chucknorris4eve... on 21 Oct, 2011 11:40 AM

Would be great if people would stop spamming and keep their thoughts about the "quality" of the program to themselves.
    I don't need footnotes, neither for citations in peer-reviewed papers nor dissertations or other;

so, maybe there are other topics on the list of the developers, for example creating a stable, reliable environment to manage PDFs with, which Papers is, and Endnote isn't.

24. 24 Posted by Carina on 21 Oct, 2011 02:08 PM

Sorry, I love Papers to manage my papers and the usability of manuscripts (since the later beta!) as well, but the missing footnote support is really annoying. In humanities footnote support is absolutely essential. Please integrate as soon as possible!
    Carina

25. 25 Posted by Sarah on 21 Oct, 2011 02:22 PM

Dear "chucknorris4ever1"

The problem is that Papers claims to have citation support, but does not support footnotes or endnotes. That is a MAJOR flaw in the program, for many many academics.

It would seem to me that YOU are the spammer, because I cannot think of a single academic field that does not use citations in some format. This is definitely a flaw in the program, and it reduces the quality, and I (and it would seem many others) are not willing to invest our money in Papers until this is fixed.

26. 26 Posted by Richard on 22 Oct, 2011 02:11 PM

I totally agree. I bought Papers because I was sure it would support footnote citation. Working in the legal field (an area explicitly supported by Papers when selecting one's field of work), I was deeply disturbed to find it is not possible. It still is a great library manager, but completly useless for citation support.

27. 27 Posted by chucknorris4eve... on 23 Oct, 2011 12:53 PM

Pacience, young Skywalker ;-)

I'd choose a stable, reliable software (which is the ONE single best feature of papers which - by definition- no one notices) over a new feature any day ...
    And the footnote support will come - eventually. Just remember that you use a piece of software that you paid 30-some bucks for...

28. 28 Posted by charles on 07 Nov, 2011 12:07 AM

I cannot think of a single academic field that does not use citations in some format.

Just to clarify and justify a bit why it was not there on day 1: our main user base comes from biology, and I can assure you for 99% of the writing there, there is no need for footnotes. Maybe when people write book (hence the 1%), but that's very rare, honestly.

Now, that does not mean we don't care about other fields, on the contrary. But we have limited resources and we have to make choices. There are also technical difficulties for proper support of footnotes, and thus it was set to be tackled in future updates. We still leave other options to use Papers in combination with e.g. EndNote or BibTeX. Not ideal, I agree, but again, this is something we do care about.

And to finish, I can't promise for sure when it's going to happen, but footnotes will eventually be supported (not in Papers 2.1, though). Thanks for your patience...

29. 29 Posted by Evan Schoenberg on 07 Nov, 2011 12:36 AM

An excellent interim solution would simply be to allow the citations manager to have a customizable format - or just force to the same format used in Edit->Copy As->Reference from Papers itself. Even if I have to select "Insert Footnote" myself from Word or Pages, it'd be quite convenient to have easy access to inserting the reference in the right place.

30. 30 Posted by charles on 07 Nov, 2011 04:00 AM

An excellent interim solution would simply be to allow the citations manager to have a customizable format - or just force to the same format used in Edit->Copy As->Reference from Papers itself.

Ah, interesting point. By the way, I want to emphasize that the format used there is determined by the style selection in the 'Manuscripts' pane of the preferences.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac