Memory Leak?

paul

20 Mar, 2016 04:56 AM

I'm using the latest version of Papers (3.4.3) and it looks like there might be a memory leak? After a few days, it is taking up gigabytes of memory. Image attached.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by cary on 21 Mar, 2016 06:22 PM

Hey Paul -

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with Papers using excessive amounts of your RAM.

Often times, rebuilding your library will resolve this issue. Check out our support page here and please let me know if that resolves the issue.

Thanks so much, Paul!

Best,

Cary

2. cary closed this discussion on 21 Mar, 2016 06:23 PM.

3. paul re-opened this discussion on 17 Apr, 2016 03:27 PM

4. 2 Posted by paul on 17 Apr, 2016 03:27 PM

Hello Cary,

I’ve tried this for awhile, but it doesn’t resolve the issue. Like right now, Papers is taking up 8 GB of memory, 5.76 compressed. That is more than any other application! (though to be truthful, Safari combined takes up more but that’s b/c I have like 100 tabs open).

Paul

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by cary on 17 Apr, 2016 08:30 PM

Hey Paul -

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, that's pretty darn high. Sometimes errors in how Papers reads your library can cause this as well. When you can, would you mind repairing your library to see if that helps with this as well?

Thanks so much, Paul!

Best,

Cary

6. cary closed this discussion on 17 Apr, 2016 08:30 PM.

7. paul re-opened this discussion on 28 May, 2016 11:26 PM

8. 4 Posted by paul on 28 May, 2016 11:26 PM

Repairing does not help. Even re-installed Papers. Maybe it happens when I've add added a number of articles (some via the bookmarklet as well)?

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Ayie on 30 May, 2016 05:18 AM

Hi Paul

Thanks for getting in touch. Are you already running the 3.4.5 (512) version of Papers for Mac?

If so, perhaps a complete reinstallation will help?

Note that when you then open Papers 3 again, you will have to connect it to the location of your library the next time you start it up so please ensure your library is safely on Dropbox or you are using a Time Machine if your library is stored locally). You can check the exact location of your library by going to Papers > Preferences > Library

First, make sure that Papers 3 is closed and that Citations is not running. Citations can continue to run after Papers is closed, so if you still see the icon for it on the menu bar at the top of your screen you need to click on it and "disable citations".

Next you need to go to Finder and click on the Go menu, from here select the option for "Go to Folder..." and then copy and paste the text below in the prompt and hit Go:

~/Library/Application Support

Finder then should be displaying a normally hidden folder, and in here we're looking for a folder called "Papers3" which we need to move to the trash.

Next, open the Terminal app on your mac (this will be in the Utilities sub folder of the Applications folder) for me and then copy and paste this command exactly as is...

defaults delete com.mekentosj.papers3

Press return, and check for any error messages.

Doing all of the above should completely reset Papers 3.

After you have deleted any existing Papers3 files on your computer, download the Papers 3 version from here: http://www.papersapp.com/papers/download

When you next open Papers, do so whilst holding down the alt key. Then Browse to the location of the library you were using.

Best Wishes,
    Ayie

10. Ayie closed this discussion on 30 May, 2016 05:18 AM.

11. paul re-opened this discussion on 30 May, 2016 12:55 PM

12. 6 Posted by paul on 30 May, 2016 12:55 PM

Yes, and I have re-installed already.

Paul

13. Support Staff 7 Posted by Ayie on 31 May, 2016 02:38 AM

Hi Paul

Thank you for letting us know. I will inform our developers. Can you please send us the following logs:

1 Send us the complete sample when this is happening:

• open the Activity Monitor app
    • select Papers3 (it should appear in red) in the list of applications
    • take a sample (using the button in the toolbar)
    • email us the sample report

2 Open the Console.app where you should see on the left hand side a section marked DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION. Under this is an expandable list for "User Diagnostic Reports", and in this list hopefully there will be the crash reports for all the mac apps including some reports for Papers.

Then go to File > Save a copy as… and send me these files.

3 Send us the Console.app output Papers related error messages?

Thank you for your patience.

Best Wishes,
    Ayie

14. Ayie closed this discussion on 31 May, 2016 02:38 AM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Papersapp please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac