Cannot sync

Geoff Rubin

17 Apr, 2016 07:41 PM

Hi,

Just upgraded to a new iPad Pro. I am trying to sync my Papers library and it has over 600 change sets to go through. It seems to crash the program after 380 or so. I keep repeating, but it never gets further. Can you offer a suggestion?

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by cary on 18 Apr, 2016 07:41 PM

Hey Geoff -

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us. I'm sorry to hear about this trouble that you're having syncing your content to your iPad.

May I ask, how are you attempting to sync this content? Is it via wifi sync or Dropbox?

Thanks so much!

Best,

Cary

2. cary closed this discussion on 18 Apr, 2016 07:41 PM.

3. Geoffrey Rubin re-opened this discussion on 18 Apr, 2016 07:53 PM

4. 2 Posted by Geoffrey Rubin on 18 Apr, 2016 07:53 PM

To clarify, I am syncing to dropbox over wifi.

Thanks,

Geoff

5. 3 Posted by Geoffrey Rubin on 18 Apr, 2016 08:46 PM

Hi Cary,

Thanks for replying. Yes, I am syncing through Dropbox.

Geoff

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ayie on 20 Apr, 2016 05:02 AM

Hi Geoff,

Are you also syncing with your Mac? Just to confirm a few things:

1 You are running the latest updates Papers for Mac 3.4.3 (458) (Papers > Check for Updates..) and 3.4.4 (481) iOS (available from iTunes).

2 You have the Dropbox client installed on each device (not just the web service). You can install from here if incase you haven't done so yet https://www.dropbox.com/install

3 You have set up syncing from within the app. On iOS via Settings (3 dots) > Set up Sync and on Mac via Papers > Preferences > Sync

4 You are logged into the same Dropbox account on each device

5 All devices point to the exact same library.papers file. You can check this on iOS under Settings > Library Location and on Mac under Papers > Preferences > Library

6 Your Dropbox is not full and syncing is not paused.

If this is already the case, can you try unlinking (via Settings / 3dots > Unlink), removing the local data, and relinking (via Settings / 3dots > Set up Sync) and see if this helps?

Also, are you using a Proxy? this can sometimes interfere if you are connected to a specific network.

Best Wishes,
    Ayie

7. Ayie closed this discussion on 20 Apr, 2016 05:02 AM.

8. Geoffrey Rubin re-opened this discussion on 21 Apr, 2016 08:23 PM

9. 5 Posted by Geoffrey Rubin on 21 Apr, 2016 08:23 PM

Hi Ayie,

Thank you for this information. I’m afraid that after trying everything that you have suggested, including removing Papers 3 from my iPad and downloading a new copy, the problem remains. With over 600 changesets it appears to get through just over 400 before crashing the synchronization.The library is fine on my Mac. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Geoff

10. Support Staff 6 Posted by Ayie on 22 Apr, 2016 04:19 AM

Hi

I have forwarded your email to the developers. They currently working on fixes on an update soon and i've let them know so they can look into this further. I will get back in touch with you once I have more updates.

Best Wishes,
    Ayie

11. Ayie closed this discussion on 22 Apr, 2016 04:19 AM.

12. Geoffrey Rubin re-opened this discussion on 13 May, 2016 12:44 PM

13. 7 Posted by Geoffrey Rubin on 13 May, 2016 12:44 PM

Hello Ayie,

Do you have any updates on this progress. The problem is quite annoying as sync is crashing Papers 3 on the ipad and pdfs that I annotate on the iPad are creating corruption alerts.

Thanks,

Geoff

14. Support Staff 8 Posted by cary on 13 May, 2016 08:17 PM

Hey Geoff -

Thank you so much for all of your continued patience. This issue is still under active investigation.

In the meantime, would you mind replicating this issue once more on your iPad Pro and then sending us your logs?

To do this, go into the Setting > Privacy > Diagnostics & Usage > Diagnostics & Usage Data. In here you're looking for something with "Papers" in the title, and a time stamp from when it crashed. Tap this, then when you get to the report, long press and copy the whole of the text (you will probably need to scroll down several times to select the entire text).

Once you have copied the text, open an email message and email it to yourself so that you can send the report to us.

Thanks again, Geoff. We do understand how very frustrating this issue is.

Best,

Cary

15. cary closed this discussion on 13 May, 2016 08:17 PM.

16. Geoffrey Rubin re-opened this discussion on 21 May, 2016 01:22 PM

17. 9 Posted by Geoffrey Rubin on 21 May, 2016 01:22 PM

Hi Cary,

The problem seems to have resolved – miraculously. No longer are there hundreds of change sets, just one and for the first time I was able to sync the app today. I will get back to you if problems return.

Thank you,

Geoff

18. Support Staff 10 Posted by Ayie on 23 May, 2016 07:22 AM

Hi Geoff

Great to hear this :) Thank you for your continuous support in the development of Papers.

Best Wishes,
    Ayie

19. Ayie closed this discussion on 23 May, 2016 07:22 AM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Papersapp please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac