Will there be any updates to Papers 3?

mulrich1

15 Feb, 2017 12:08 AM

Many users have started discussions about the future of Papers and the general response seems to be papers and readcube will release something in the near or distant future either this year or next that will be something synergistic (but I have no idea what that means).
I understand that integrating two separate platforms is challenging and takes unknown amounts of time, which is probably why you're hesitant to give a real timeline/roadmap for future development. So far the public statements about release have already been pushed from early this year to the end of this year. Regardless… 

At the moment I really don't care about Papers4/Readcube2, I care about Papers 3. Considering the incredible pain many Papers users experienced upgrading from Papers 2 to Papers 3 (how many months until there was a stable release?) it feels like some comments about future maintenance updates to the existing program are warranted.

At this point I'm ready to label Papers 3 as abandonware and start looking into better supported and stable platforms even if those platforms compromise in other areas (ugh, Endnote). I really want to use and recommend Papers but I have no idea what the future holds for the program. If all the company's attention is on the future product it would be great to know why waiting/putting up with the current product is worth my time and energy. Based on past experience over the past few years, whenever Papers4/Readcube2 is released it will be months if not a year before the software is stable enough for actual work. From the little I've heard about the new program I'm skeptical about how much will really improve over the current program.
–Thinking back, the Papers team did make some improvements in transparency and regular software updates in the 1-2 years immediately following Papers 3's release. All of those improvements seemed to die shortly around the acquisition by ReadCube. –
Given the vague timeline of 'the end of this year' that means we're possibly two years away from a stable/meaningful upgrade to Papers 3. And in that interim I'm doubtful we will see any improvements to our current software.

Some transparency would go a long ways to regain trust.

Sorry for the long rant.

1. 1 Posted by mulrich1 on 15 Feb, 2017 12:12 AM

For comparison, it looks like ReadCube has averaged about 1-2 updates per month since the Papers acquisition compared to potentially none from Papers (the Papers release notes haven't been updated since 2015).
    Maybe all the Papers developers were reallocated to ReadCube.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by cary on 15 Feb, 2017 08:41 PM

Hey There -

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us concerning the future of Papers. As you may be aware, at the beginning of the year Papers and ReadCube joined forces. As both of our teams have joined forces, we are looking to the future for both of our applications.

The next step is to release a new version of Papers (and ReadCube) which incorporates the best of what both applications offer. We plan to have this new application out by the end of this year.

If you're interested in being a beta tester for this new application, you can sign up here.

In the meantime, papers 3 will continue to be maintained and improved upon where needed and it will absolutely continue to be supported!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best,

Cary

3. cary closed this discussion on 15 Feb, 2017 08:41 PM.

4. mulrich1 re-opened this discussion on 16 Feb, 2017 05:03 PM

5. 3 Posted by mulrich1 on 16 Feb, 2017 05:03 PM

Thanks for the copy/paste reply. I think I'll look for a new reference management platform.

6. cary closed this discussion on 16 Feb, 2017 09:22 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Papersapp please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac